A fun bit of history


My grandfather was a quartermaster with the US Navy in the Pacific Theater on the USS Eldorado (above). Part of his duties involved paying officers and crew ("Every two weeks I was everybody's friend"), which extended to visiting personnel if they were onboard during payday. While moving some months back, I found a box full of his paperwork and other Navy things. Among other fun things (like a price list for the ship's store), I found this notecard...
...showing that Vice Admiral Turner was paid $885, check please and thank you. For all of his attention to record keeping, I can't help but notice Papa didn't put a year down. Oh well. 

Unfortunately what with being across an ocean, it's a bit difficult to get back into that box and post more of what's in there. In due time, in due time.

Comments

Popular Posts